12/03/2004

Welcome to WYR

Have you suffered a loss of your faith, or injury from abusive, cult-like church authorities? Unsure what to believe? Asking yourself if there is any healing or truth out there? Me too.

I grew up an agnostic scientist, but converted to born-again, charismatic Christianity at age 21. However, the group I was involved with was a controlling, cult-like organization. After 5 damaging years, I left and began healing within some healthier Christian organizations. But I began to leave the faith.

I spent the next 5-10 years healing myself using psychology (inner child and gender identity work), humanistic and new-age spirituality, yoga, Buddhism, and believe it or not, books of balanced, mature Christian doctrine.

However, after much searching, I am returning to the Christian faith because its truth is compelling, and its description of a personal, loving god is superior to all I have tasted.

Though I have returned to what some might call a conservative or "literal" Christianity, I am no longer quick to judge or argue, or to hold fanatical, unbalanced positions.

The best scripture I can think that describes my experience is the one where Jesus predicts Peter's denial, but comforts him with these words: "When you have returned, strengthen your brothers." I have returned, and am much gentler because of it. May mercy and truth fill us both.